Sunday, November 2, 2008

Olivia has WHAT up her nose?

First, I think I need to start off by defending me and Chiki. We do actually pay attention to our children, but one of them just happens to be a very quiet and mischievous little person. She sneaks around the house and gets into everything she can get her hands on.



Now to begin the story. Last night we had a really good friend in town, and so we took him to dinner. This particular friend and his wife, have opted not to have children. They are very patient around kids, but you can definitely tell when they are surprised by some of their actions. So here we are ... me, Chiki, Scott, Hannah and Olivia ... all sitting around the table. Scott carrying on the conversation. I just happened to glance at Olivia, who was sitting next to me. I noticed a bright green object hanging from her left nostril. WHAT ... was I seeing right. Surprised, I took a second glance. Sure enough, Olivia had managed to stuff the tip of a green crayon up her nose and was just sitting there like nothing was wrong. Not wanting to cause a specticule, I quickly scooped Livi up from her highchair and ran to the restroom.

For all of those of you who are familiar with me and how I react under pressure, know that I do not do to well. My logical ways of thinking, completely leave my head and panic sets in. All I could think on the way to the restroom, was "Oh poor Livi. This is going to result to having to take her to the emergency room." So hearing how smart I am in emergency situations ... I am now in the restroom at the restaurant. Not wanting to cause a scene, I tried to calmly push out the crayon. Smart, really smart. Livi has this fascination with picking her nose, and on her way to the restroom she had managed to push the crayon up a little further. I had discovered this, when her little nose started to bleed. OK, now onto plan B. I decided that I was going to cover her other nostril, and tell Livi to blow. I know, I know ... telling a 15 month to blow, is like telling me to fly an airplane. Needless to say, plan B was a flop. And so, with no other ideas, I decided that it was time to go get Chiki. Keep in mind that Olivia was now crying, tears flowing down her face, and doing that cute/sad little mumbling thing. Walking back to Chiki, we caught the eyes of many.

Good thing I married someone who can think rationally, during emergency situations. Chiki grabbed Olivia out of my arms, and took her into the men's restroom. From there, he covered her unclogged nostril, put his mouth around hers, and gave a slight blow ... just enough to dislodge the crayon. Chiki said that she was immediately relieved, and they walked out of the restroom like nothing had happened.

Thanks Chiki, for being the calm one out of the relationship. If it weren't for you, our crazy daughter would have had to go the the hospital to get the 1/4 inch crayon tip out of her nose. And although, Olivia has correctly been using crayons for awhile, she will no longer be allowed to use one until the pointy tip has been removed.

As for Scott, apparently we didn't manage to scare him away because he voluntarily came over to the house after dinner. What can we say ... there is never a dull moment when the Carbajal's are around!!

3 comments:

Haylee Munk Brown said...

Wow! Chiki is smart! I would not have thought of that myself. So don't worry. At least when I have kids, I will have this post to remind me what to do ;)

Hayley said...

Is it wrong that I am totally cracking up? I panick too, and Trav is the smart one always!

Glad she keeps you hopping!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the laugh! That is hilarous, I love it! Cute little Livy!