Thursday, November 4, 2010

L.A.

Since me and Jessie have birthdays within weeks of each other, we thought that there would be no better way to ring in the BIG 30 ... then to run a 1/2 marathon together.  She came out for the Bolder Boulder in May, and so it was my turn to go to her in L.A.  

Being the runner that I am (sarcasm, lots and lots of sarcasm), I had myself on a really good 12 week training program.  It didn't seem too bad for the first little while.  I was feeling really good and able to keep a good pace for myself.  I was getting pretty confident, that I was going to be able to pull this baby off.  That is, until I hit about the halfway point.  All heck broke loose after that.  Not only did I come down with a nasty cold that should have required antibiotics, but I also found out that I was no longer training for one ... but two.  Between the side affects of a cold and not being able to take anything for it and feeling nauseated, I was about ready to throw in the towel.  But with lots of crying, and a hubby making fun of me ... I had no choice but to prove to him that I wasn't a sissy.  So, with the Dr's consent ... I pushed on. 

Here's the proof.  Me and Jess at the finish line

We had one crazy morning, the morning of the race. It included a flat tire, a AAA guy who didn't know how to read directions on how to get down the spare, and one really non morning bee-och (yep that was me).  By the time we got rolling again on the almost flat doughnut tire ... we barely had time to drive to the start, run to the restrooms, and start our leg.  If you thought it was all smooth sailing from there ... boy were you wrong.  We had barely reached the 1 mile marker, when some girl decided to cut all the way over from one side to the next to throw away some garbage and tripped me.  Still being in Bee-och mode, the girl was lucky I didn't sock her one. All in all, me and Jess survived that morning, and did lots of laughing about it all later.

 I don't know if I would necessarily recommend training for a 1/2 marathon while pregnant, but I am really happy that I did it and am actually planning on doing another.  That is, sometime after the little man is born!

5 comments:

Girl Cam said...

You are my hero...I dream of someday being that awesome.

Clayton and Heidi said...

WOW!
I have a hard enough time running for me let alone doing it while pregnant! Your baby will come out a runner for sure.

Jill said...

Ok I really missed the memo I didn't realize you were prego! Congrats! You both have just became my heros way to go! Also late Happy Birthday 30 just kicks butt literally right?

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I still can't believe you did this prego!!! You are awesome!!

Brit said...

WOW-all that running.....or walking...at ICON is paying off...haha. Congratulations- we need to run one together. You have your baby, and I'll get done nursing...and one day we'll run one.

Miss you! Merry Christmas