Sunday, January 25, 2009

NYC Indian Style

Oh heck, no more procrastinating for me. It has been one week since Chiki and I went to NYC, and I can't put off blogging about it anymore. Last weekend, Chiki had a really good friend from the Navy get married. This wedding was totally awesome. First it took place in NYC, and second it was an all out traditional Indian wedding. Before I get to much into the wedding details, I must first mention for those of you who have yet to visit ... it is so difficult to drive around in that area. According to mapquest the hotel we were staying at was about 20 miles aways. It took me and Chiki 2 1/2 hours to get to our destination. Mapquest totally sucks and was telling us to take a lefthand turn, in areas where there was no landhand turn to be taken. On the plus side, I ended up getting that GPS unit that I have been trying to talk Chiki into getting for awhile. Yeah me!!

Now onto the wedding details. Ajay and Amrita's wedding consisted of two nights. The traditional 2 hour Vedic Hindu ceremony was the first to take place, which was then followed by a traditional vegetarian feast. The saries were absolutely beautiful, along with the people. What an experience!!

The Vedi where the couple was wed


Some of the wedding party


The happy couple Ajay and Amrita. 


Chiki, his friend Pee Wee, Ajay, and Amrita. Pee Wee is not his real name, nor do they pronounce Ajay's name correctly. Apparantly, if you have a hard to pronounce name or one that has the potential to be made fun of in the Navy ... one is made up for you. Too bad I didn't know this until I heard the correct way to say Ajay (Aw - Jay).


This picture is rediculous, but here I am trying a very interesting vege meatball. Did I mention we had to make a Taco Bell run on our way back to the hotel.



The traditional American ceremony was held the second night. There was lots of food, dancing, and laughing.

Totally HOT couple


Poser ... but a cute one

Did I mention I was the palest person there


The party scene.  Too bad I didn't take a picture of the dessert table. It was AWESOME!



Chiki and I are very fortunate to have friends who were born into many cultures and faiths. In my opinion, there is no better way to experience the world!!

6 comments:

Hayley said...

This looks amazing! I am so jealous of your trip. I've been begging Travis to take me there for quite a while! You do look beautiful btw.

Haylee Munk Brown said...

The wedding look like a lot of fun!! I love going to weddings from other cultures, it makes it a lot of fun. I am sorry it took you so long to get to your hotel, I am not a big mapquest fan, and hear NYC is hard to navigate.

Emilee said...

ok hot mamma! i love those pics. and when did you get 3 kids? ;)
that wedding sounds way fun! i love having differences inthe world and being a part of it. everyone in the same boat, the same everything gets borring, we need variety!

Carston, Katrina, Isabelle and Kate said...

Kirst, It looks like you had a fun time. You are so lucky to be able to see a wedding like that. Your brown dress looks so darling on you. But I still want to see the other one!!!!

Quinn and Melanie said...

So fun!! Looks like you guys had a great time. You seriously are on HOT LADY! I am sure your hubby was proud to have you on his arm!! Beautiful.

Sulema & The girls said...

Wow, puts our wedding to shame. Who is that girl shoving in the meat balls? :-)