Thursday, April 2, 2009

How Old Is Too Old?

A group of us moms were talking one day, at one of Hannah's lessons.  One of the moms, mentioned that she was really sad and can't believe how fast her baby is growing up.  One of the other moms, asked how come she was so sad and what had happened.  "Well," she said, "we just took Brynlee out of her crib and put her into a big girl bed."  Did I mention that Brynlee is Hannah's age, which is 4 1/2 year old?  When I heard that, I about fell off my seat and was trying so hard to not let my chin drop.   Now I know, every situation is different and that every parent has their own way of doing things.  Heck, some may believe that me & Chiki switched our girls from crib to starter bed, too early.  As soon as they turned one, the crib rails came down.  

This particular mom is also always complaining about how timid both her girls are when her & her husband are not around.  She is always pointing out how social Hannah is, and how she "so badly wants her girls to be like that."  Part of me can't help but think that her babying isn't helping the situation.   I am no parenting pro by any means but can't help but be proud of how Hannah & Olivia can go anywhere, without mom & dad.  What are you feelings on the matter?  Do you feel that babying your child holds them back??


6 comments:

Emilee said...

ok, i totally agree with your crib thing. we do big kid beds before 2 and i love it! i think babying your kids helps them ZERO! hoe else are they supposed to adapt to the crazy world if we dont help them rather than hinder or hide them or protect them...?

Jill said...

I'm pretty opinionated on these matters, and here is mine on this. I believe it should be whatever seems appropriate for the child, and if that's 4 I guess that's ok, but......I definately think it does you no good to baby your children it is a huge pet peeve of mine. So many people spend so much time and energy overprotecting their children that it completely slows down their development. They need to get into everything, and learn to go to other people, and climb the tall ladder at the playground. I have quite a few people in my life that take this route, and it's their right to be that way but it doesn't mean it doesn't drive me crazy sometimes.

Hayley said...

Um 4 is much, much to old if you ask me. We are like you and jump right into the big kid bed. I feel the same way about binkis and bottles, I think they are great when you are a BABY, but it's so good for kids to learn to give those things up. Am I making sense?

Brit said...

Kirsten- i can see you falling off your seat! I would've been right there with you.:)

Nate and Tasha said...

I must admit, I let Kalli stay in her crib until she was 3. It was more for selfish reasons though. I liked sleeping in and she never tried getting out so..... it made sense. It was nice though. Now she comes in our room at 6:45 ready for breakfast. I can't imagine leaving her in for another year and a half! Are you kidding me!!!

Jill said...

He has been in Colorado Springs they have a job there that is a Liberty Toyota. He has been battling the storm and not loving it. He is home for a day and then going back. I feel bad he is miserable about it. I always want to ask you what is it your husband does that he is gone all the time? I so feel your pain it's hard talking to children all day every day don't you think?