Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Birthday Bash

After nearly two weeks, Chiki is finally back from New Jersey. Back from New Jersey with the camera, and the pictures from his birthday - YEAH!

As stated in an earlier post, Chiki turned the BIG 30 this year. Things have been so crazy and busy, that he requested just to have a little shin dig with me and the kiddos. We had a blast. Since we LOVE LOVE LOVE the zoo, and daddy usually cannot come with ... that is where we headed for the day. At first the weather was perfect, the girls were for the most part tantrum free, and we were completely enjoying ourselves. That is until the sky turned dark green, and the sirens started to sound. Yep, that's right ... our trip to the zoo was quickly ended after being advised to evacuate because of this:

A Funnel Could


Once we got into the car and started to head back to the house, we noticed that the worst of the storm was located north of the city which is where we were headed. No tornadoes ended up touching down in our area, but when we got back to the house the civic was covered in 3/4 inch hail and leaves (wish I would have gotten a picture)

So, back to Chiki's birthday....we still had a GREAT time at the zoo, came home and grilled out, and of course ate some cake. Now you all be nice. I made this cake. I am sure a professional baker would have been dying over what I was doing while making it, but all in all I don't think it turned too bad. One thing is for sure ... it tasted superb!



I thought I was being so funny, and bought Chiki the "Trick" candles. To my surprise, they were "Sparkler Trick" candles... scared the crap out of me. Thought my house was going to go down in flames, but no worries. Nothing happened and Chiki managed to blow out all of the candles!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Great cake I am impressed. I heard about the little tornado that touched down that day and thought of you. Glad it did not hit in your area.

Emilee said...

for some reason i think that 30 is old now that i am getting so close to it! what is up with that!
anyway, painting:
after i painted the blue (under color) i tapes off what i wanted brown. then i took a straight edge screw driver and went along the edges of the tape where the paint was going to seep in. it just pressed the tape better than my finger ever has. i have also heard to blow dry it, but didnt do that. then, i painted the edged of the tape blue, same color as the wall so that anything that was going to seep under the tape was already the color of the wall beneath (that was the best idea ever!). i went right back over like 15 minutes later and painted the whole thing brown, did my 2 coats and after i was done only waited like 15 minutes and tehn took the tape off. i could have waited longer i bet, but i was worried about the tape taking off the blue wall because i did it all in a day, not waiting.
good luck!

Andrea said...

Love the cake & trick candles, glad your house didn't burn down!

Nate and Tasha said...

Kirsten, you are so funny! I love the cake - it inspires me to do one for Nate :)